Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Blog #3

Is this memoir without villains?

In my opinion, this is a memoir without villains. Readers are not given a look at the other side of the story. I am not trying to say that Sylvia's father is without fault or that his actions were inexcusable. Although what he did to her was wrong, we do not know his reasons. We are not given any information on his life and whether or not he was abused. If there were any villains, I would say that it is Sylvia Fraser's own self. Sylvia faced herself both in the past and the present. She had to confront her past self to be able to let her present self live a complete life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree completely with you Genevieve. There was only one side of a story and we really have no idea what actually happened, if the truth was stretched or made up. I think that a person cannot be a villain unless there is someone to point the finger at them. A villain without a victim is only a person.