Saturday, March 17, 2007

Blog#2 James Frey and Grey Owl

When comparing the two authors James Frey and Grey Owl my respect definitely goes towards Grey Owl. He only lied about his heritage because he was of British decent. Although Grey Owl claimed to be a Canadian born first nations author after his death it came about that he was British. The reason I respect Grey Owl though was because he joined the heritage of first nations people and lived their way of life. Grey Owl also showed much compassion to the environment and through his stories he built awareness of the wilderness and wildlife.
James Frey on the other hand just lied to get himself famous. His stories of hitting police cars and drugs and alcohol actually turned me off his novels. His stories he claimed to be true make him sound like a junkie and too lie about it is even worse. I believe that his false stories were only intended to get money and attention. James Frey “memoirs” were nothing more than a fiction novel. In my opinion I actually found myself repulsed by James Frey’s stories after finding out the truth about him
-Stevekaufmann

2 comments:

John Ly said...

I totally agree with your opinion on this matter on respecting Grey owl more then James Frey. Yes Grey Owl lied about his identity but you have to respect the guy for what he did when he tried to preserve the wild life like you stated. I enjoyed reading about your views of the situation and look forward to seeing some more of your other blogs.

Sherwin said...

I also must agree with Steven’s blog, which favors and respects Grey Owl. Grey Owl only lied about his heritage, but that was only to be accepted, other then that, he still accomplished his goals, stuck by his word, and portrayed the characteristics of a true Indian.
I also agree with Steven and stated myself that James Frey lied to get fame, and also think that his lies and false stories were only intended to get money and attention. He basically sold a lie, and used lies as his base, his ground, for obtaining popularity, fame, money, and attention. This is far worse than what Grey Owl lied about.